Sunday, July 20, 2008

Fireworks & A Birthday Party

My parent's house plays hosts to a number of parties every summer. It was the weekend before the 4th of July and my uncle's birthday / Fireworks over the lake party. My mother requested a cake for the party. We had about 30+ people so this was the largest cake I had to create. It was also one of the most involved.

It was a two tier, pillar cake, made from my Mom's chocolate cake with chocolate pudding and butter cream frosting.
The bottom tier was a 9in cake, make to look like a like with a pier and some fish avoiding worms on a hook. My uncle likes to fish.

The fish were made from royal icing.

The top of the bottom had some little bobbers, and then later we added a sailboat, to fill in the space left by the pillars.

The top was to look like the fireworks we would be seeing later tonight. I cut the cake down to 7in round cake. It would have been easier to bake a smaller cake, but my Mom didn't know what sizes, so she just baked two 9 inch cakes, and I wasn't about to complain since I didn't have to bake them this time. (My uncle's nickname is Tink.)

The fireworks were made with small dots of royal icing.

Tink with is cake. The boat number is N59, in honor of his age. :)

Here's the final cake. I was really happy with it.

No comments: